Tuesday, January 12, 2010

O'Brien Strikes Back!

Just a couple of days ago I blogged about NBC's new plan to return Jay Leno to 11:35pm with a new 1/2 program. They cited the low ratings for the current Jay Leno show and Tonight Show as well as pressure from the local NBC affiliates.

It seems like this just creates huge problems. The network looks foolish for making such a strange move and then totally stepping back from it after only a few months. Leno and Conan look like rejected losers for those time slots; and Conan fired back today. He released a statement that was very direct about his reaction. At one point he says:

I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of the Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

You can read the entire letter here.

Wow. I think Conan is must watch tonight. It should be really interesting to see that will happen at NBC next. This is way better than most of their programming, maybe they can just make this the new 10pm reality show.



2 comments:

Ms.Lo said...

So... do you think Conan is funny?

alex said...

I thought he was funny yesterday!!

I don't usually watch conan or leno or letterman, I just don't care about the "celebrities" that they interview. I'm more of a Jon Stewart/Stephen Colbert guy.