Monday, January 11, 2010

Hoarder!

A couple of months ago Becky and I started watching a show on A&E called "Hoarders". This is a reality show, but in a documentary kind-of-way, not a game show. This is definitely a can't look/can't look away program.

It highlights the lives of compulsive hoarders and the mental health and cleaning professionals who try to help curb their addiction/habit. For those of you who don't know, hoarders collect stuff; lots of stuff; any kind of stuff... in many cases their homes end up looking like this:


It's scary to look at the way these people live. A couple of years ago I led a group of teens to clean out the house of a hoarder; we sold some of the stuff in a garage sale, the rest ended up in the trash. I couldn't believe how much stuff she had in her tiny house.

My family is spending alot of time cleaning out the house as we pack up and anytime I come across some old box or can't decide whether to keep something or not I just think of Hoarders and throw it in the trash!

I highly recommend watching this show if you lack the motivation to clean your home. I usually spend about an hour cleaning around the house after each episode.

3 comments:

Angela said...

I LOVE throwing away our stuff...it's kind of opposite from Hoarding for us these days!

Sienna said...

that was really freaky. -especially when we found that mouse skeleton!

FootballDude said...

And that lady kept giving us UNDERWEAR!!!! its like lady people don't buy USED UNDERWEAR!!