Friday, May 29, 2009

Zoo Review

Our family went to the Detroit Zoo today and we had a great time. The weather was nearly perfect, but we happened to pick the same day to visit as every elementary school in metro-detroit (or so it seemed).

Pros: Reasonable price
Plenty of animals to see

Cons: Dated facilities
Lots of walking between exhibits and main entrance
Sparse restrooms

I've never been to the Detroit Zoo and I wasn't quite sure what to expect... it is, after all, the Detroit Zoo. Part of me expected to see most of the animals running around free range and they just pass out tazers at the door. I was pleasantly surprised by our experience. While the zoo facilities were quite dated (it's not like Detroit has much money to spare) the enclosures were all in good repair and clean. I didn't feel like the animals were trapped in unsafe or inhumane conditions.

But the bathroom facilities were few and far between. You notice those things when you take 3 small kids with you.

Would I recommend it? Yes and No. I would not recommend it as a one day experience. The cost for our family for a one day pass would be about $35 (including parking) which is a decent deal, but the Toledo Zoo isn't much further away and I would say that it is a better one day value.

But I would recommend it if you are willing to purchase year round membership ($64 for us). It not only covers all family members for a year, plus parking, but it they have a reciprocal program that allows our membership to cover zoo fees at dozens of zoos across the country (including the Toledo zoo and the Ft. Wayne Children's zoo); so as long as you visit more than once it's a great deal.





2 comments:

Kyle Luke said...

It covers the Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek, too. And I think several museums in Chicago.

Anonymous said...

What fun! I remember our trip with you guys to the Toledo Zoo. It was great. -- Missing you - Mom