Monday, May 25, 2009

Jon & Kate plus... hate??


"So what do you think of the whole Jon and Kate plus 8 stuff?", Becky asked me as we were driving home from visiting her folks over the weekend. I said that I thought things were probably being blown out of proportion; that it certainly must be extremely difficult to raise such a large family; and hopefully the new season would show a clearer picture of what is going on in their lives. Becky added that they are Christians so not only should they have their faith to rely on, but that they would also have people giving them Godly advice/assistance as well.

Then we watched tonight's Season 5 premier of Jon and Kate plus Eight. Oh my. It looks bad. Like really, awkwardly bad. (if you didn't see it, here's a pretty accurate review of what happened) I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the show, but I've followed it over the years. Becky watches every episode and I've seen most of them with her, and full disclosure, I read their book (multiple blessings) when she borrowed it from the library. I've become less and less interested in the show as it has changed from "how this couple handles the real life challenges of marriage and parenting" to "jon, kate, and the kids go on product placement adventures". But no matter my feelings of the show, it was really sad to see the poor status of their relationship.

Obviously there has been alot of public attention surrounding their family and the tabloids/paparazzi/scandals regarding jon and kate and their marriage. I know that I am not in their shoes and it has got to be incredibly difficult to keep that family together and raise those kids in a loving and responsible way, but both Jon and Kate appear to be totally missing the point in their family right now. Both of them, repeatedly, said that they are totally focused on the kids and they will always love them, but someone needs to tell them that they need to show their kids what love really is by loving each other. Love does not mean giving everything to one person or group at the exclusion of another. You don't teach your kids anything by telling them about it, you teach them by living it. Loving their kids should mean showing the kids how to love another person when times are tough.

I really hope Jon and Kate can save their marriage. So they can teach their kids what love really is. So they can learn what love really is. So America can see what love really is.

7 comments:

Kyle Luke said...

I wonder if they have a church family anymore. I know they attended regularly back when the show started, but I wonder if they have that to rely on any longer.

I agree . . . loving each other is the best thing they can do for their kids. And like the other article said, I hope they've discussed some of these things with at least their two oldest since now it's out there for the entire world to see.

karen said...

As the unfortunate child of a divorce, I think Jon needs to realize that just pulling together to so stuff with the kids is not enough. The best thing for this family is to stop the show, stop everything and try to fix their marriage. Do counselling, do everything they can. If it still doesn't work out, at least they can prove to the kids that they did EVERYTHING possible to try to fix it.

Anonymous said...

It certainly is sad for the marriage and family of Jon & Kate to be struggling so. I could see long before these problems became evident in the media that trouble was brewing. Their body language and tone in their voices toward each other revealed something was broken. Marriages whether Christian or not, struggle when God's ways are not followed. Kate taking the authority and leadership role in their relationship and home, and Jon's lethargic ways has only been a detriment to the success of their marriage. I believe that the TV show, camera's etc. is not the real issue here as much of the media would like to say. It only revealed a problem that came out when it was squeezed. Ever wonder why so many marriages fail after 20 years? What is left after the children leave home if the love between a husband and wife is not nurtured? Too many marriages put their children ahead of their own relationship -- big mistake. Love between a husband and wife has got to come ahead of the children. Our society has forgotten that children are not the glue to a marriage. Children are an offspring of the love of a husband and wife. A truly happy home is more is far more likely and children are much more secure when a couple will keep their love the top priority. I really hope Jon & Kate are getting christian counseling. I think it's their only hope. -- Nancy

alex said...

thanks for everyones feedback. really thoughtful stuff.
i wish jon and kate could read all of this... not because we have the answers, but i think they need to be reminded that people are praying for them and want them to succeed.

Becky Teal said...

Well Alex,
If anything, it reminds me that we need to continue to grow our love and friendship. Your mom was exactly right. I do hope Jon and Kate work it out though.

I love you! Becky

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Well said.

(I read your Dad's blog.)

Angela said...

i like how mom blogged in the comment section:) but yes tis true.