Saturday, May 16, 2009

Movie Review - Star Trek

I really liked it.

I should say up front that I am a fan of the 'Star Trek' universe, but I wouldn't categorize myself as a trekkie or trekker or whatever they call themselves. I've only seen a handful of episodes from the original series, but I've seen all the original 6 movies. I've watched alot of 'The Next Generation' and a couple of those films, but I haven't followed 'Trek' outside of that. I probably fit right into the demographic this movie is targeted at (male; 18-35; fiction fan, but not too hardcore).

To my surprise, I found myself really sucked into the film during the first 10 minutes. They did a fantastic job setting up the characters while still progressing the story (unlike xmen:wolverine) and there only a few moments, as a whole, where it dragged. It felt fun, but not too lighthearted; I was invested enough to ignore the logical jumps and criticisms that can often pop-up in movies like this (I'm looking at you, Indiana Jones and the Crystal Waste of Two Hours).

I continue to be impressed by director J.J. Abrams. He has a great feel for action and skillfully telling a complex and compelling story. He has mastered working with ensemble casts (LOST, Mission Impossible III, Cloverfield) and does a fantastic job of casting the right actor for the right characters (Alias, LOST, Fringe). Here in Star Trek, each character feels right and gets a few moments of screen time that fit both this film and the established history of the franchise.

I think that was what stood out to me most as I watched the movie; it felt uniquely 'Star Trek' (as opposed to Star Wars, or other "space" films) but it still felt fresh and exciting. If Abrams and the cast are on board for sequel... I'm there.

No comments: