Saturday, December 13, 2008

Daddy Daughter Day

Ashlyn and I connected today. I picked her up from her nap this afternoon and we sat together on the couch for about 10 minutes with no crying! Then we played on the floor for another 10 minutes and she smiled at me alot. It was sooo great.

Some of you may be asking "what's the big deal, isn't she like 5 months old"? That's true, but Ashlyn is very much a Mommy's girl and doesn't let me hold her for more than a few moments without crying. I think the breakthrough began last night.

Last night was not a good night for sleeping. We had some friends spend the night with us (which was great). Since they are a family of 5 we gave them our room upstairs to make space for everyone without banishing anyone to the freezing cold basement. Becky, Ashlyn, and I slept in the playroom together. Becky and I slept on an air mattress and Ashlyn in a pack 'n play. Ashlyn rarely sleeps in a pack 'n play and did not take to it well. Becky tried everything to get her to fall asleep for a couple of hours to no avail. I took over around 2am and held her until almost 3. She was fine with me holding her, but she refused to fall asleep.

Sharing a common challenge brings people together. Maybe our shared sleepless night brought us closer. In that case... it was worth it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex - Mmmmm, that is so cool.-- So happy for you. I remember that feeling. I still like it when my children want to connect with me. Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Ashlyn loves you!!

So do I!!