Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Why do you LOST?

LOST gave us another fantastic character developing story last night. It gave us more and more insight into the motivations and development of the individuals who make up this complex drama. It also continued to set up the pieces of the final chess match (or backgammon match if you prefer) that is the overarching drive behind LOST.

Smokie/ Bear

I have really enjoyed these last few episodes, they are very reminiscent of season 1. However, the last several episodes have answered very few questions that LOST has raised over the last 6 years. And as a result, many viewers are frustrated over the lack of answers; but I, on the other hand, am just enjoying the journey.

It reminds me of the competing belief systems of Locke and Eko in Season 2. If you recall, in the swan station there was a computer, a computer which needed to have a code entered every one hundred and eight minutes. Locke oversaw the responsibilities of entering the code once the oceanic survivors found it. As time went on, he became more and more frustrated with the experience because he never saw results, he never got the answers he wanted. Mr. Eko, on the other hand, found purpose in the data entry. He wasn't concerned with the outcome, but found his place as part of the Dharma experiment.

There are many people who are watching LOST to get answers. And I don't blame them, this show has constantly walked the line between too many questions and too few answers. I, however, am more focused on enjoying the journey as it happens. I certainly hope we get some answers, but I certainly won't see this season (or series) as a failure if we don't get them. I'm loving season 6!

What's your take?

2 comments:

ROBBIE B. said...

this week's episode was good. I can't wait until we get a look at alpert's back story next week!

Quillen said...

I can't wait to flash-forward to watching seasons 1-6 with Maya when she comes home from College for Winter break. I'll be so old, it'll be like watching LOST for the first time!