Wednesday, March 24, 2010

No 3D for me

Am I the only one bothered by the recent explosion of 3D technology? I am not interested in this emerging technology at all, and I'm normally excited about tech trends.

I saw Avatar in 3D because I wanted to see what it would be like. I loved the movie, but I didn't really feel like the extra dimension added to the film. It was cool, but it didn't make it better. And I was not happy with the fact that it cost FOUR MORE BUCKS to watch it in 3D. Not cool. I plan on seeing very few other films, if any, in 3D if I have to add a premium onto an already pricey ticket.

That is one of the reasons why Avatar made a bazillion dollars, because they charged even more money per ticket. And that's one of the reasons why Alice in Wonderland is making so much money right now. Eventually the public hears about how much money a film is making and they don't want to miss the action, and they pay up for a new pair of shades for one use.

I am really not looking forward to every new film rushing to become 3D. And it's already happening. They are retrofitting movies already in post production to cash in on the fad; Alice was the first, Clash of the Titans is next. They aren't filmed in 3D, they just use computers to make it 3D (which James Cameron hates). They are even making a 3D computer animated Popeye. Yeah, that'll be awesome...

And now they are releasing 3D blu-ray, 3D tv's (which you have to watch wearing stupid goggles).

Although they'll be less conspicuous once they develop transitions lenses

Nintendo, just today, announced a new 3D handheld DS system to be released next year. An my fear is that all of this is going to lead to crappier and crappier media getting shoveled at us just because it's "the next thing".

Call me old fashioned, but I'll be looking for 3D in real life, not on a screen.

1 comment:

Ms.Lo said...

I totally agree. I'm not really into the 3D effects. It's only cool at first, then I forget about it... until I get a headache.

But I'm old. :-)