Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Rock you like a hurricane

I've been listening to David Crowder's Church Music a lot recently. I think it's a great album, but I am particularly moved by How He Loves. Here's the music video, but I actually prefer the album cut (it's slightly different), they are both great.

I love the opening lyrics:

He is jealous for me,
Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree,
Bending beneath the weight of his wind and mercy.

I love the imagery of God's love as an overwhelming force. It reminds me of another powerful Crowder song, Here is our King. You can listen to him tell the story behind the music here, but the song is an allusion to God returning as a tsunami to sweep us back to him. I think that both of these are amazing and moving thoughts about the power of God completely changing the landscape of our hearts and lives. After all, when a hurricane or tsunami passes, everything left behind is totally transformed; there is no mistaking that an unstoppable, unwavering force has been there.

We often use themes from nature to talk about God, but I think most of the time it tends to be a soft, whispering wind or the brightness of the sun. We rarely talk about God in terms of the terrible forces that we fear (hurricanes, forest fires), probably because of the devastation and loss associated with them. However, I appreciate and am awed by this lyrical re-interpretation of those incredible events.

I hope you are touched by it too.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the idea of Crowder's song "Remedy". The idea that Christ is the remedy is amazing, really. He doesn't say "Christ is the remedy for _____". He merely says "Christ is the remedy" period. He's the remedy for everything.

Ms.Lo said...

Love that David Crowder.