Thursday, February 11, 2010

so much to say...

I haven't blogged in a while, but soo much has happened lately that I've wanted to comment on:

- smowmageddon, or is it snowpocalypse?
- the end of Conan
- Palin writing her talking points on her hand
- Google buzz

But I'm going to skip all of those to focus on What Kate Does.

"What Kate Does" is the title of last night's episode of LOST. This final season of the most ambitious television show in history began last week and constantly seeks new ways to tell compelling, character driven, action packed episodes. One of the storytelling devices that LOST used in a powerful and innovative way during the first few seasons was the Flashback. Then in season 4 they flipped the format on it's head by inventing the Flashforward. This season they are once again transforming the way they tell the story by introducing the Flashsideways. They are basically showing what would have happened to the people of Oceanic 815 if the island had been sunk to the bottom of the ocean in the late 1970's following the "incident". It's a risky move, and I'm not sure how I like it so far, but it is exciting to see the producers continuing to take risks.

I really liked this past episode, but it seemed to me the best moments were the ones which weren't centered on Kate. Claire's baby attended by Ethan... wow... I can't wait to see who they are going to show us next (Tom? Michael?). The emergence of a Rousseau'd Claire, and revisiting the "infection" from season 1. Sawyer's heartbreak over the loss of Juliette (maybe his best scene all series). But my favourite moments were with Jack and the other Others. Over the past couple of seasons we've watched Jack fall apart over the events on and off the island that he helped put into motion. He lost confidence in himself and was confused. Now he is emerging from that depression to take lead once again. I don't that this is just a case of better writing. I think it's part of the plan of the journey and development of the character of Jack. We are actually watching a television character grow and learn.

I'm can't wait to see what is going to happen next.

4 comments:

Tara Lynne said...

I am sick of Jack not having balls and just telling Kate how he feels. Just grab her and kiss her for pete's sake.
I too loved the Sawyer seen and agree that it may have been his best.
I am confused about Claire, but that will most likely be remedeed soon.
Also do you remember anything about Kate hitting a guard on the head in an escape? Phil and I don't remember seeing him before!
Love the post and the show.

Angela said...

love when Jack swallowed the pill...I saw it coming, but I was still surprised! WHY is it only on once a week. torture. I would be completely ok if it was the only show on tv.

Quillen said...

why can't every episode be 2 hours!

alex said...

Lately I've been thinking there should just be a LOST channel. Seiously, how awesome would that be: not just episodes of LOST, but commentary, and programs about the stuff they reference in philosophy, science, and literature