Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Picking Dandelions 2: Electric Book Review

Short review:

I really enjoyed Sarah's exploration of her own spiritual journey and was challenged to examine my own acceptance of the spiritual status quo.

Long(er) review:

I was unsure of what to expect as I opened up "Picking Dandelions". I knew the author as a friend from my college days and that it was written as a memoir. That's it, so I braced myself for a dull history lesson of a really nice person. I was quite sure there were not going to be any juicy, scandalous revelations which would be sad to read, but would certainly spice up the reading experience. I am glad to confirm that there are no scandalous tell all moments, and I am even more excited to say that I was engaged and challenged throughout Sarah's honest and insightful look at herself.

I found it to be just the right length, long enough to draw you in a provide a solid background on the upbringing that helped form her journey, yet not extended with irrelevant stories as filler. I found her writing to be fun and clever, full of 80's pop culture references (the BEST kind of pop culture references), and also honest about the short-comings of her own faith. I really admire her strength to ask those closest to her to identify her biggest weaknesses and her courage to try to change in order to become more like Christ.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who may be looking for a great read about someone who may not be unlike yourself and anyone looking for a bit of a push to re-evaluate where you stand in your faith.

You can find out more about Sarah @ http://www.sarahcunningham.org (she's also on my blog roll)
You can purchase "Picking Dandelions" @ http://www.amazon.com/dp/0310292476/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

No comments: