Monday, February 22, 2010

I've got a fever... and the only prescription is more Olympics!

The 2010 Winter Olympics have been playing around the clock here at the Teal household over the last week. Evan and Aaron have even caught the spirit of the games and race around the house competing in speed skating and cross country skiing (as Thomas Jansen and T. Breaker, respectively.) I have really enjoyed the winter games this year, but I enjoy them much more as a Canadian than as an American.

I grew up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan cheering on our athletes against the US and the rest of the world every four years. I remember jumping up and down with joy when Ben Johnson won the 100m in the '88 summer games [that gold didn't last long]. But watching the Olympics these days I can't help but feel a bit torn because of my close ties to both countries.

I have dual citizenship, but I live as an American. I have a US drivers license, birth certificate, and passport. And I am nearing the point when I will have lived in America longer than I lived in Canada (June 2012!). I have a great life here in the states and I think this is a great country. But watching the Olympics stirs up my Canadian blood.

So as I continue to watch the competitions (sans figure skating or ice dancing *bleh*) I'll be cheering Canada first and the US second.

For what countries do you cheer?

No comments: