Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lions win. or so I heard

The Detroit "football team" Lions defeated the Washington Redskins today 19 to 14. But it's hard for me to celebrate because the game was blacked-out for every TV within a 75 mile radius. Why can't I watch my home football team try to win their first game in "644 losing days, 21 losing months, 18 losing Sundays, one losing Thursday, four starting quarterbacks, one fired coach", and the disaster known as Matt Millen? [source]


Lions QB, Matt Stafford, counts the number of Lions victories since December 23, 2007


The National Football League has a rule that a game can only be shown live to local markets if the stadium sells out. 100%. Every ticket. I cannot understand this outdated and obsolete rule that has been in effect since the late '70's. It seems totally backwards that any sports team would EXCLUDE people from supporting their local team. Supposedly, the reason for this rule is because TV executives don't want to show empty seats in the stadiums. Which is totally stupid. I'd much rather watch my team, no matter what the attendance was.


Why can't TV execs and advertisers realize that I'm only going to glance at the Vikings games, but I'll watch the whole Lions game?


Why aren't teams furious that they can't connect with fans who are faithful customers and potential customers. I might be enticed to attend a home game if I see what a great experience it is. How can I see what I'm missing if I can't see the game?


I'm happy that the Lions won, but somebody needs to change the blackout rules, cause one win isn't going to fix the Lions attendance issues.



1 comment:

Becky Teal said...

I think they just played footage of a couple years ago and did some photo trickery.

:)