Wednesday, September 16, 2009

July 11

My last full day in Taiwan. It was bitter-sweet to think about that fact as I woke up that morning. It was Saturday and all there was on the agenda was for me to speak to some of the youth from the mountain villages and then Ben and I would return to Taipei. Dad, Foster, and Kelsey would stay in Taiwan until Monday and then spend a couple days in Hong Kong.

It was really cool to wake up and step out into the streets of the village of Tuban. It looked like something out of a movie or painting: the mist hanging low in these jungled, mountain peaks. It was breathtaking. I'm not a morning person, but I would enjoy mornings a whole lot more waking in that environment.

MeiMei prepared an amazing breakfast for us. The table was filled with assorted breakfast foods and fruits. MeiMei asked me if I wanted some mango juice and then picked up some fresh mangos off the table and dropped them in the blender. Wow, it was sooo good.

We decided that since we had plenty of time before I needed to speak that we would drive down the Taiwan coast and visit one of the popular local beaches. We didn't really have enough time to swim, but we thought it would be a cool last place to visit. We loaded up the van and... grind, revvvVVV! Matthew was stepping on the gas, but we weren't going anywhere. So we all stepped out as he kept shifting in and out of neutral all the while he starts rolling backwards down the sloped street. He eventually reached a point where he had to back into a wall/fence or else he has going to back off cliff. We started praying (and laughing) really hard and finally Matthew got it into first and rolled around town for a bit at 50,000 rpm to warm up the engine. It goes without saying that we were a bit unsure about getting into the van, but there was no other choice.

We ended up at a beautiful beach on the southern tip of the island. It was at this point that I really wished I had a swimsuit on because the coolness of the morning had faded and the water looked really refreshing. We followed up our brief visit to the beach with a stop at McDonalds. Oh man, I'm not a huge Mickey D's fan, but it tasted sooo good. I had a hard time going back to chinese food after that meal.

We were a little bit late arriving back at the first mountain village, so we had to walk in after the service had already started. Fortunately there was a group of four seminary students from England who were also there and they started off with a game, a few songs, and a short devotional. Having them start helped me to not feel as nervous and I shared with the students the lessons that they need to be active in teaching to their home churches. There were around 50 Paiwan students there, and we recognized some of them form the week of camp, so it was nice to feel like I could relate to them a bit. I had a great translator in Caleb, a native Taiwanese who is studying at Asbury seminary.

After I spoke, Caleb, Ben, and I headed back to Khaoshuing to take the high-speed train to Taipei. I ended up back at the YMCA hotel at around 11pm and ran into trouble.

They didn't accept the credit card that I had on me, I didn't have enough Taiwanese "new dollars", and the couldn't accept the American cash that I had on me. So I walked the downtown of Taipei all by myself from about 11pm to midnight looking (unsucessfully) for an ATM. I even had the desk clerk draw me a map to an all night money changer, but it was a dead end (and I know I followed the map correctly). I texted Becky for help and fortunately she happened to answer and was able to get me a different credit card # that I could actually use.

It was actually pretty cool to wander the streets alone. It's a really nice city and I'd love to go back someday.

With my hotel paid for all I had to do was go to bed for the last time in Taiwan.

2 comments:

Becky Teal said...

I'd be interested in seeing this environment that might help you to not be so grumpy/sleepy/ugh in the morning! :) I think that just some old Asian legend! :)

Anonymous said...

I love the whole "wandering-in-a-foreign-city-at-midnight" story this is what the greatest adventures in life are all about...

I'm so glad we got to do this whole amazing Taiwan adventure together.

Love you son!
GHT