Monday, June 22, 2009

Eight plus Kate with occasional guest cameos by Jon

Tonight marked a sad day in the history of the Gosselin Family. This hour long episode of TLC's prized reality show ended with Jon and Kate announcing their separation (with the closing credits confirming the legal filing for divorce). It was a really painful episode to watch. I kept hoping they would pull a switcheroo and edit the episode to create tension and end with a Jon and Kate announcing a recommitment to their relationship. But it wasn't so.

In a previous post, I've already shared my opinion that Jon and Kate would love their kids most by investing in their relationship. It just seems like they keep talking about how much they are "there" for their kids without realizing the pain and heartache that they are leading them though; without seeing the contradiction between the lessons that they are trying to teach and the their actions. Both Jon and Kate have issues to deal with in their individual lives and as a couple, but I think that Jon has more blame in the decay of this relationship.

He needs to grow up, act like a man, and take responsilbility for the committment that he made to Kate and to God to always love her, no matter what. Yes, Kate is hard on him. Yes, it must be ridiculously difficult to raise a family of 8 kids. Yes, the pressure of the papparazzi/media/and fans has got to be nearly overwhelming. But that's what being a man is all about; taking on the challenges that would seem to break us.

And as I was reminded in church on Sunday, you can't do it alone. You need other men. You need a supportive and encouraging wife. Above all, you need a powerful, loving, and relentless God. Let's pray we can learn from Jon and Kate.

2 comments:

karen said...

I am no longer watching the show. And I am no longer watching TLC. I am very disappointed with a family,producers and network that would standby and watch a marriage fall apart and promote it for TV ratings. TLC is supposed to be a family network.
When J & K and Little People Big World started I thought, this is great. Reality shows that show real families, with real struggles, and how they make it through the day. I liked that they were real and their arguments were real. It helped me to look at how I may speak harshly to my husband, abd it helped me to change. And I thought I saw growth in J&K's marriage as well. However as I read fan pages, and saw re-runs over and over that highlighted some moments that wouldn't make Kate proud of herself, I thought, boy I hope that their marriage is strong enough to stand up to this. I mean really, how many of us have done or said things to our partner we are not proud of. But you deal with it in your marriage, and you move on, hopefully the stronger for it. To have it rehashed on national tv over and over again, makes it hard to forgive and forget.
Last season I was getting concerned as the content of the show had changed drastically. And they just didn't seem as happy any more.
Not only am I disappointed that they did not work on their marriage, I am disappointed in TLC for not saying, wait, we don't want to be the reason your marriage falls apart. Let's take a break. We do not need to televise a very personal time in your lives like this.
And as for all the other reality shows they have, I hope all of those families can learn from this, and stay together and know when to call it quits on a show that must add stress to their lives.
Once again, as a child of divorce, you want your kids to know you did EVERTHING possible to save your marriage. And I hope J&K did go to counseling etc behind the scenes. Those kids are going to see this on TV one day. I pray for them.

alex said...

thanks Karen. We can all understand that TLC is running a business which relies solely on generating high ratings and J&K+8 is their biggest show. However, like you said, one of the initial draws to the show (and the network) was the simplicity and honesty of the show. In a reality TV landscape of sex and deception, here was a real, "normal" family just doing their best to be a real, "normal" family.

My... how a few years has changed that. It think that it even makes business sense at this point for TLC to visibly protect the family and the kids. I'm sure we'd all criticize them for only protecting them so they could exploit them in the future, but that would be better than the position they are taking now.