Wednesday, November 12, 2008

a quick word of advice

Evan and Aaron have discovered the joy of sword fighting. Fortunately at this point they prefer to fight me instead of beating the sense out of each other. I really like playing Star Wars or Pirates with them (then again, I'd probably play with just about anyone). As a result of our "fights" I feel that I am in a position to offer some advice to the future sword fighting fathers out there.

Every strike will hit your hand. As if your fist were an electro- magnet for swinging plastic edges. They are seriously unavoidable. You try to parry and block the blows, but the angles and speed are completely random preventing you from being able to predict the path of the oncoming sword. They couldn't be more precise if they were trying.

So, for those who are about to compete in the gladiatorial games of fatherhood, buy some hockey gloves. Or toughen up your hand by punching a tree Kill Bill style.

3 comments:

Crydo said...

Thanks for the sage advice. My kids are too old for sword fighting, but Mary and I were planning to take up the hobby just this afternoon! So your help is timely.
I'm wondering, would boxing gloves work?

Angela said...

you need to break out the christmas wrapping paper early this year so they can use the rolls

Crydo said...

That's a good idea, maybe Mary and I should try that!