Friday, November 21, 2008

I'm Baaaack. For Gooood.

Sorry friends, it's been a while since my last entry. Been pretty busy lately.

One good thing going on right now is that I didn't have Jury Duty again. As you may recall, in May I was summoned for Jury Duty and went in, sat around for a while, and then was dismissed after a few hours. Then I received a "get out of Jury Duty free" card which is valid for one year for responsibly serving our state's justice system. However, the fine print says that I can still be called for FEDERAL jury duty. Guess who received that summons a couple weeks ago.

The worst part of Jury Duty is that for all the plans you have to change in order to move your life around this single date they might not actually need you on that date. So you have to call in the night before and they connect you with an automated system which informs you if you are actually needed. If they don't need you on the original date, you must call in each day for the next TWO WEEKS to see if they need you. Then you only have about 12 hours notice to drop/cancel/move everything in your life in order to report downtown.

So I called, every weeknight for the past 2 weeks. Today, Becky made the final call, and we both had a sinking feeling that I would be called in tomorrow. Thankfully I made it through and I can relax. It really was stressful to go through the past 10 business days knowing that I may suddenly have to change all my plans around with very little advance warning.

2 comments:

Carlee McDot said...

I was summoned for Federal court this past summer and had to call in every day FOR AN eNTIRE MONTH (every day in June). I only had to show up one day (and wasn't picked that day), but even after showing up in the middle of the month I still had to continue to call with that SINKING feeling that tomorrow could be another one... Oh yeah, and my old employer didn't pay for me to go to jury duty, so I had to take NO PAY...

alex said...

wow. an entire month. i thought i had it bad