Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Just did my duty

I'm sure you've been eagerly anticipating the outcome of my jury duty; we'll here's what happened...

I managed to actually wake up at 6:40 and was on the road by 7:00. Traffic wasn't too bad driving downtown, but with the major reconstruction of I-75 the detour added a bit of time. I was able to get to the "Jurors Lobby" about 5 minutes early and the waiting game began. I waited in that room with about 150 other people (i was surprised how many people were there) until 8:15 when they showed an orientation video. Then about every 1/2 hour they would call list of about 20 names who were then led to the various courtrooms for juror selection. My name was read at about 10:30 and i proceeded to the 8th floor of the Frank Murphy Hall of Justice (the Honorable Judge Hathaway presiding). I waited in the hallway outside the courtroom for 1 minute and the Deputy Sheriff told us that the trial had been resolved (someone made a deal) and we could all return to the jury lobby. After another hour of waiting, they read my name with about 40 others and told us we could go home. That was it.

I was disappointed that I didn't get to go further, as i said in my previous post, i think that serving on a jury would be really exciting. However I was really glad that I didn't get caught up in a lengthy trial with only 3 weeks until the new baby girl.

Have any of you readers gotten further than that?

4 comments:

glennteal said...

not me

Angela said...

no. i was selected for jury duty a week before we moved here from California to serve a month after we moved. I was like--Can't do it! PEACE OUT!

Anonymous said...

Alex, I was a foreman last year. I am debating whether or not I can put it on my resume.

alex said...

way to go robbie!