Saturday, November 21, 2009

Bunk in the Trunk

Our family has been blessed with a great home, but it's starting to get tight with our growing family. To make more room for our kids, we've decided to get bunk beds for the boys; however rather than purchasing them, I've been excited about making the beds. It will save us money, we can customize it any way we want, and I think it'll be something to take pride in. But I can't do it on my own.

Fortunately, the man we rent our home from is a master carpenter. He has modified his entire garage into a woodshop with more tools than I can name; it's really impressive. Wayne has been gracious enough to allow me to help him build our beds and we started work yesterday.

Becky and I found a design on the Pottery Barn Kids website that we really like and fortunately they list most of the dimensions of the set. Armed with the measurements and several pictures, Wayne and I have began an adventuring in woodworking. We spent several hours chopping, ripping, joining, planing, and glueing. It's pretty much as close to building it from scratch as you can get without growing the tree in your own yard.

In retrospect I wish I would have taken a few pictures to document the process, I'll work on that next time I go in. What projects do you have going on?

4 comments:

glennteal said...

I'm anticipating one amazing bunk bed set from Alex and Wayne's workshop!

Becky Teal said...

I'm excited too!! Thanks for working so hard babe!

Quillen said...

I'm excited three...babe!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful accomplishment! - You are skilled in so many ways. We look forward to seeing the boys bunk beds next time we get out there! I'm so proud of you son. Love, Mom