Wednesday, August 19, 2009

July 6

Sorry it's taken me so long to fill in the rest of the blanks on my trip. It's been a busy couple of weeks. I hope to finish the outline of this trip before the memories start to fade away... so let's get back to bidnas:

Monday was the first day of camp. It actually was more of a conference than a camp, but I'll get into those details in a few paragraphs. We got up early in the morning (around 6:30 i think) because we had to find our way through the underground central rail depot in Taipei to the high speed train to Kaohsiung. Fortunately we had a guide in Pastor Dinh (from the previous post) and his son, Ben. Ben is a high school student who joined us for the week. He was born in Vietnam, but was raised in America, so he speaks English and Vietnamese, but very little Chinese. He came to Taiwan a few years ago when his Dad felt called to minister to the Vietnamese in Taipei. I think it meant alot to him to have some Christian Americans to relate to, and it was great for us make a new friend and have him along.

The high speed train was very cool. I've never been on a "fast" train before and it was definately a fun experience. You may be asking yourself, how fast did it go? close to 200mph. Oh Yeah!

We arrived in Kaohsiung and rode by car another hour to the campus. There were 5 of us in a tiny car with all our luggage, so I sat in the middle with my suitcase on my lap. I couldn't see anything but canvas for the entire ride.

As mentioned earlier, the "camp" was really a conference. For you Free Methodists, it was like IYC, just on a smaller scale. It was a conference for all the Southern Taiwan FM middle school and high school groups; a total of over 500 students!

The conference opened on Monday night with incredible and exciting worship led by Taiwanese college students a powerful sermon by Taiwanese Youth Pastor Craig (who was the main evening speaker).

Another great day!

3 comments:

Quillen said...

'bout time! Thanks for making me wait 2 weeks to read what happened next.

John 3:16

alex said...

someone reads this blog?? YESSSS!

Becky Teal said...

Hey! I read it too...that make two then! :)