Wednesday, August 05, 2009

July 4-5

I forgot to mention in my previous post that we decided to visit the Shilin night market late on Friday. Yes, we were still tired, but in a foreign country you never want to miss a chance to visit something exciting.

And we weren't disappointed. It was really cool. Vendors on every side, on every corner, using every inch of available space. I would say that a large majority of the stuff for sale was clothes: hats, shoes, jean, shirts, accessories. The next most common goods were food: corn on the cob, squid on a stick, duck hearts, pig ears, all kinds of other crazy foods, and mango. I've never really liked mango before, but after a week of amazingly fresh mango it's grown on me. It was loud, smelly, and crowded... Just my kind of place:)

Saturday was another sight seeing say, we went to the Taiwan National Museum and the Taipei 101. The national museum was amazing because it basically holds the national treasures of China (taken as many Chinese fled to Taiwan during the 1949 revolution). There are plenty of items that we got to see that are just too beautiful to describe [no photography allowed:(] My faves were the 30 meter long paintings and the unbelievably intricate ivory carvings.

The Taipei 101 is the tallest building in the world. The observation deck is at nearly 400 meters. The view was incredible. You could see for miles and miles. Here are a few pics:




After those amazing sights we crashed at the hotel for a bit and then I went to speak with a college group at one of the Free Methodist Churches in Taipei. It went pretty well. I wasn't as prepared as I would have liked and it was my first time speaking with a translator. Luckily the group was really friendly and they were excellent hosts. The highlight of that day was the ride I recieved back to the hotel. The streets of Taipei are crazy! Super crowded streets and thousands of motorcycles flying everywhere in between. My new friend Justice gave me a ride through the city streets on the back of his motorcycle and it was too fun. I hope to have the video up soon.

Late Saturday evening we welcomed Foster Chase and his daughter Kelsey to Taiwan. The Chase's attend my Dad's church and it was great to get to know them throughout the week.

Then Sunday morning, we Teal's went back to the same FM church where my dad preached (proached?? praught??) a great sermon. We ate lunch with the church and had tea at the Grand Hotel with our friend James. Then we met back up with Foster and Kelsey and attended a Vietnamese FM church which meets once a month in Taipei. That was an experience:)

I could tell Dad was quite a bit worn out from the day, but he gave a fantastic evangelistic sermon translated by Pastor Dinh. It was fun to listen to him translate. We all seemed to sense that he was helping my Dad out a bit, adding and explaining things in a better way. And that was a good thing, after the invitation about 10 people came up front to accept Christ in their lives. Whew! Praise God.

After the service was over Dad became a celebrity and became surrounded by the vietnamese people as they took picture after picture. Here's a couple of my faves:




Then we finished of the day with taking Foster and Kelsey for a visit to the Shilin night market.

And this is just the beginning:)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Waiting for more -- THEN what happened