Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hamilton breaks All-Star HR record

I didn't watch the Home Run Derby last night. I forgot it was on. In a previous post i've shared with you that i don't follow baseball much, but i like watching the HR derby. Something about the power and beauty of the moment. I'm pretty good at wii sports home run derby. I am particularly saddened that i missed the broadcast yesterday because Josh Hamilton broke the record of most home runs in a single round with 28 long bombs (the previous record was 24). Unfortunately Josh lost in the final round.

I'm cheering for J-Ham because he has an incredible story of how Christ changed his life. I don't know all the details, but the story goes that he was drafted #1 by the Tampa Bay Rays in 1999, but drug and alcohol addiction nearly destroyed his life and career. Through the intervention of his Grandmother he found Christ and has redeemed his soul and his career. Here's an amazing article he wrote for espn the magazine.

If you don't read the whole thing, he shares this story at the end...

"... there is one story that sticks with me, so much so that I think of it every day. I was driving out of the players' parking lot at Great American Ball Park after a game in May, with Katie and our two girls. There's always a group of fans standing at the curb, hoping to get autographs, and I stop to sign as many as I can.

And on this particular night, a little boy of about 9 or 10, wearing a Reds cap, handed me a pen and something to sign. Nothing unusual there, but as I was writing the boy said, "Josh, you're my savior."

This stopped me. I looked at him and said, "Well, thank you. Do you know who my savior is?"

He thought for a minute. I could see the gears turning. Finally, he smiled and blurted out, "Jesus Christ." He said it like he'd just come up with the answer to a test. "That's exactly right," I said."

Now that's the kind of guy i can root for. Way to go Josh!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Of course the winner -- my Canadian boy Morneau is also a solid Christian who took the time to thank "my Lord and sSavior Jesus Christ".

Sounds like a win-win to me