Monday, July 14, 2008

1 degree of separation

Last week my parents were visiting us here at home and they were watching the reality competition "nashville star". I've never watched the show before and as they showed the various contestants i was suddenly struck when i recognized one of the contestants.

I know Coffey (pronounced "coff-ay").


He attended Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas during my year there as a Resident Director. I wasn't close to him, but we'd talked a few times. In fact, when i went to HPU to interview for the RD position, I went out to lunch with him and 2 other student leaders. I also recognized him when he was a contestant on American Idol (he made it to the Hollywood round) so it was surprising to see him as a finalist in another singing competition. Coffey is a really nice guy and he does have a great voice. I wish him all the best (i think he's in the final 6 now) and if you vote for the show, vote for Coffey!

I've also known another reality show competitor. I was also not very close with him, but I
knew who he was around campus (when i was an RD at Spring Arbor University). I am speaking about the infamous Josh Aspiranti. He was a contestant on Fear Factor and became famous for his Incredible Hulk-esque freakout during a "bobbing for rings in cows blood" competition. Seriously, it was a sight to behold.


I've tried to find a clip online, but no luck so far. I may still have it on tape at home, in which case I'll try to upload it.

Those are my two connections with anyone "before they were kind-of stars". How about you? any connection to someone before they went on to become famous (reality show or otherwise)?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Coffey (Cof-fay) seems like a very nice man. His voice needs a little work if he's gong to win it all.

But hey -- we can always hope!

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, whats wrong with my voice?? just kidding--- but thank you for saying i'm nice. As for thestunt, I tried so hard-but just couldnt seem to be successful at that it? Everyone else bad it look so easy...but for some reason i couldnt seem to get those fricken rings...it was very frusrating. It wasn't the blood that got to me it was the feeling of drowning....i know that may sound wierd but it's a liquid---That was the biggest problem. And tring so hard and constantly failing it just got me really angery with myself--i didnt expect to go out like that---I do thank you for watching and wish you well---have a great christmas---
STAY STRONG LIVE WELL--JOSHUA ASPIRANTI joshuaaspiranti@hotmail.com

alex said...

josh aspiranti! is is really you?

thanks for commenting. I remember watching the episode on tv and hoping that you would do well. I know there is no way i could have done it!

alex

Anonymous said...

Yes alex it's me...Thanks for your support--it means a lot. I'll check back now and again.
STAY STRONG LIVE WELL--JOSHUA