Thursday, October 01, 2009

For all the Parents out there:

I love the blog Stuff Christians Like. Funny, funny stuff.

But every once in a while, they slip in a little truth and I found this entry to be really applicable to where I'm at as a parent: Raising dorks.

The entry can be summed up by this fantastic quote, "You can fast forward childhood, but you can’t rewind it."

Evan is in Kindergarden and I really want him to connect with his classmates. I think it's important for him to grow and learn how to make friends and adapt to new situations. I want the other kids to like him and to think that he's cool. But I don't want him to get caught up in thinking that fitting in and being cool are critical to who he is as a person. Maybe it can be cool to be a dork.

3 comments:

sara luke said...

Last year around this time, I went to the homecoming football game in our school district. The homecoming court members were all introduced and their "interests, goals and dreams" were announced as they walked out onto the field. These are the "popular" kids in school. The kids that other kids aspired to be.

And I know it's not like this everywhere, and I know that I was being judgmental, but all I could think was that if I were their parents, I would have been ashamed at what was being read about them . . . at what they aspired to . . . at what they valued.

It was a that point that I started hoping and praying that Jack would never "fit in" with that crowd. I want him to be well-liked and accepted. I don't want him to be the stereotypical uptight, judgmental, out-of-touch Christian. But I don't want it to be at the expense of what we're working so hard to instill in him.

alex said...

perfect example. I think there are too many parents out there trying to be friends with their kids and they let them do whatever the kids want (or what the parents wanted to do as kids).

At least our kids can take comfort that there are other dorks out there:)

Becky Teal said...

"it's cool to be a dork" is something only a dork would say. it's just like "you don't always have to win" is something only a loser would say. do you see what i'm saying!? :) HA! :)

all that aside-i'm with you on the dork thing! :)