Monday, March 30, 2009

Close Call

I was stopped at a red light when I saw police lights flashing behind me. He was about 1/2 a mile back so I was pretty sure that he wasn't after me, but you can't help the fact that for a second your heart jumps and you have "wha'd I do!?" rush through you're head. I was in the center of 3 lanes so I moved into the "right turn only" next to me to do my best to clear the way for him... and I'm glad I did.

No sooner did I pull over when ZOOM, some ancient mini-van goes flying through the red light just ahead of the cop. I didn't see him behind me because I was focused on the lights and siren. He was lucky to make it through the intersection because it's a very busy 6 way stop (for you locals: Outer Drive, Pelham, and Carlysle). I was really, really, really tempted to follow them to see how it would end [i.e. pit maneuver], but I needed to get home. I didn't follow them far, but it appeared to me that he later turned the wrong way down a one way street.

It was my first time seeing a live police chase. It was a bit exciting, but I just can't believe the stupidity of anyone trying to outrun the police. Haven't we all seen "World's Wildest Police Chases" volumes 1 through 25? Or even more seriously, the metro- Detroit area is still reeling from the recent deaths of 4 teens at the hands of a drunk driver; drunk driver, reckless driver, it doesn't matter... police chases never end positively. Fines. Jail. Injury. or Deaths.

I hope the chase ended quietly and the guy gets what he deserves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad God is watching over you. I love how He has His hand upon us and (sometimes) we aren't really even aware of it at the time. He just guides our thoughts and directs us. -- Thank you Lord.
Love, Mom