Tuesday, March 17, 2009

10 Year Anniversary

I can't believe that 10 years has past so quickly. It was just a short decade ago that one of the most influential musical acts in human history dropped their debut album on a world totally unprepared for the melodic sonic-boom that was about to overtake them. I am speaking, of course, about "Where No Cheese Has Gone Before" by Smooth Smoothie Smooth and the Smoothed Out Smooth Ones.


Recorded and released in the fall of 1999, the Compact Disc (or "C.D.") was greeted with mixed reviews. Some called it "the most amazing album ever produced" while others said it was "the most incredible album ever produced". 500 CD's were produced and over 400 of the CD's were sold to a ravenous and dedicated fan-base. The few remaining unsold copies are a highly sought after collector's item with unopened editions selling for tens of dollars.

Before the break-up of the band in the winter of 2000, the 6 remaining band members sat down and recorded a small collection of songs that were never released. This uncompleted EP has been worked on in several stages and will perhaps be released to the public at some point in the future. There have been rumors circulating around the internet community of a reunion concert, but the band has never spoken of reuniting.

But seriously folks (or based on my readership, folk), it was such a great experience to be a part of The Smoothies. If you ever have a chance to be a part of a band, do it. Even decades later you'll look back on those times with a smile.


(actual photo's from the final Smooth Smoothie Smooth and the Smoothed Out Smooth Ones concert)

4 comments:

Crydo said...

I feel bad that I never got to one of their concerts. I mean, I always meant to. Whenever they came to town, I said, "I need to go to this concert - this will be great." And then, I didn't go. I still don't know why. Bummer.

Anonymous said...

Memories...

Love your devoted Smoothette!

Angela said...

who is the skinny guy in the hat??

Anonymous said...

my chem teacher was apart of this band. He spent half the hour talking about it! Mr. Smith is the best!