Friday, February 29, 2008

movie madness

Becky and I subscribe to the Sunday edition of the Detroit Free Press. It's a good paper, but we really only get it for the coupons. However, I was browsing through it when I came across a really good article by Mitch Albom. He reflected on the current trend in the awards ceremonies (and in the media) to celebrate movies that are dark. Not in the sense that Saw IV is getting nominated for an oscar, but that it seems that you have to be "edgy" to be considered good. You have to push the envelope somehow or you just aren't relevant. You can read his article here.

I agree not only that it happening, but that it is an unfortunate trend. I think that it's even more evident in Television. It seems that the only series' which are regularly nominated each push the boundaries of language, sexuality, and morality.

I'm not against this content in film or television. The world is a messed up place filled with messed up people and media should have the freedom to reflect that. However, it doesn't mean that programming that does not push those boundaries are of lesser quality. You don't have to be dirty to be real. A film can be uplifting and oscar-worthy.

Let's hope that in 2008 we can get more quality movies and tv shows made and nominated.

2 comments:

Angela said...

I def. agree. Even LOST, which is one of my faves has scenes which I think push the envelope too far. What happened to the good old days of Saved by the Bell and Full House?

M.B. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.