Wednesday, October 24, 2007

global what?!?

I managed to catch the last 1/2 hour of CNN's "Planet in Peril" and I was really touched by the personal stories demonstrating the impact of environmental issues around the globe. Those of you who read my previous blog on myspace know that I also recently saw the documentary "An Inconvenient Truth". I think that these programs start important conversations and give strong evidence for the serious environmental problems that we are currently facing.

Now I know what you are thinking... have i turned into a pawn in the left-wing environmental agenda?

I don't think so; I do think most of the projections for how these problems will destroy the future are based on worst-case scenario projections and interpreting data to fit established theories. but there is no denying the changes and struggles that are already happening around the globe.

I think it's important that we all act to make a difference in how we treat the environment through personal and political action. I'm trying to recycle more (especially at work) and I really appreciate our families (i.e. becky's) efforts to purchase organic goods. They're good for you and the environment. Environmental policies will definitely influence the choice of which political candidate i vote for in '08.

I'm also saving trees by writing my thoughts in electronic form instead of writing a chain letter to everyone I know (btw, you must send this to 10 of your friends or else the polar ice caps will completely melt in the next 24 hours!).

check this out for a better look at the cnn doc.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have yet to see Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth. Sounds like I need to watch it in its entierty, not just 9 minute chunks on YouTube.

Angela said...

ps. forwarding...done.

Andrea S. said...

Read your dad's post about your Global Warming blog.. I was sposed to watch the cnn report for extra credit in one of my classes, BUT here's what I wrote on your dad's page:

It's kinda interesting how the "Left" claims environmentalism? ok? I would think conservative would be more closely related to conservation, but what do I know? Just sposed to be doing what God says as far as I'm concerned! Stewards of this earth, yup. Sounds good to me :)
---
As much as caring for our earth is dear to my heart, the film by Gore cracked me up with all the interludes of him looking at his laptop.. little Al Gore introspective moments.

Jim said...

I would like to just insert a different perspective from someone that remembers that last big media push. It was called global cooling and in the 1970's TIME magazine had front cover news about how we were creating so much polution that we were creating a cover over the entire earth, This cover was stopping the sun from getting to us and so we would soon freeze to death. All the crops would die and the end would be coming. Somehow just 30 years later we are now going to burn up. And how about all the states that need water and are having to ration it. Al Gore tells us whole cities will soon disappear because of global floading, well some of these places could use a little extra water. In the Great Lake states we are trying to figure out how to stop other sytates from diverting water for the great lakes, if we are all going to fload we had better let them take our water to help us in the northwest from drowning. Maybe I'm just to simple of a guy but somehow the universe seems a little big for us small sheep to distroy want God built. Just another thought!
Jim Moline