Thursday, July 29, 2010

Shocking Voltage




The much anticipated electric powered Chevy Volt was given a pricetag today... $41,000!!! Yeah, I typed that right, Fourty One Thousand American Dollars!!! This vehicle does qualify for a $7500 tax credit, but it still comes to $33,500. (source)

Now, I understand that this car is brand new technology and that you are paying a premium for being on the cutting edge, but I think they have priced themselves into a pretty tough corner with this. Afterall, the key market for a car like this is people my age, young and environmentally conscious, who aren't known for having a lot of money to spend on a city commute car.

And at the same time, it doesn't appear luxurious enough to compete with the BMWs and other cars normally found at that price point. The Prius is such a huge success because it is a hybrid under $25,000!!!

What's your reaction to the Volt?

P.S.
In looking for a picture of the Volt I read that the President of Audi called anyone who buys the Volt an "idiot".

2 comments:

Quillen said...

I'd give 'em 9 grand cash.

alex said...

9k sounds about right. Maybe 10 if they include a solar powered bluray entertainment package